When Your Needs Change

 My needs have changed when it comes to my mindfulness practice. 

There I said it. A part of me has felt guilty in some ways but I'm also thinking that if my needs have changed over the course of time, why do I need to berate or make myself feel guilty for something that can come naturally?

Do I still meditate? Yes but most of my meditation practice is doing self-compassion breaks via through Kristin Neff or Chris Germer. The practice is short, sweet + gets to the heart of the situation + that matches more my personality.

And what do most of my mornings look like then if I don't meditate?

I read! I read books that make me happy + put a smile on my face because life has been hard at times + reading for the mere pleasure of it is good enough for me. When I'm struggling somehow, then I do a self-compassion break + I simply make a point to listen to what I need in that moment. 

So if your needs have changed + you feel like you are "failing" because you aren't doing the same routine or maybe your routine has gone out the door, all I can say is this. Be kind to yourself + remind yourself that sometimes those changes are necessary + that fighting them isn't going to make you commit more.

Sometimes we need change + that opens us up to things we would never have considered before. 

The changes I've been making with my mindfulness practice have come slowly over time. Coming through almost on its own. There have been times when I've questioned it but there have been times when I've given myself the OK to just be with it without too much judgment.

After all, the basic tenet of mindfulness meditation is training our attention + our awareness in a non-judgmental way. 

So if your needs for your practice have changed or maybe you've put it aside for now, that's OK. Maybe for now, that's what you need + what you need to make room for.

Be well. Be kind to yourself + remember that our actions are good enough + are often in line with what we know at that moment.

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncertainty, Self-Compassion + Covid-19 Testing

Having A Hot Cuppa Meditation Exercise

The Ok-Ness Of It All