Expressing Myself Mindfully Through Watercolor Painting

 I decided to take up watercolor painting as part of my mindful self-care practice.

With Covid-19 continuing to shape + influence my daily routine, I decided I needed a self-care practice that allowed me to get lost in the moment + simply take the edge of my daily stresses.

While having a formal mindfulness meditation practice will always be part of my daily routine, I desperately needed something else to add to the mix.

A couple of weeks ago, I came across this video (see below) from a woman named Cynthia's YouTube channel called Mindful Creative Muse. 

This practice really helped me to connect to my breath in a way I didn't know I could! I highly recommend you this a try!

Cynthia's channel on Youtube called Mindful Creative Muse

                                               

 I ended up perusing her channel + saw several videos of mindful painting + doodling for stress relief.

After scrolling + watching some of her videos, I decided to buy myself a watercolor kit + some brushes so that I could start following some of her videos. And honestly?! I'm so hooked now + love this new hobby that allows me to connect with myself in a different yet embodied way!

So...What have I learned so far about watercolor painting that is similar to mindfulness meditation? 

  • Just like mindfulness meditation, it isn't the end goal but the process that is the reward in itself.
  • To suspend + kindly pay attention to my own inner landscape + practice self-compassion.
  • Just like meditation, thoughts will come + go. And to simply observe, pay attention without getting caught in the story. 
  •  It is just practice. Ahhh I love this little reminder. It truly is just practice + not to take myself too seriously when I paint. 
  • Just like meditation, painting is a skill and over time can alter or make changes to the brain since our brains are experience-dependent neuroplastic! 
  • Lastly, I am coming to understand (personally anyways) that my inner critic who thrives on judgement, condemnation + toxic shame cannot really thrive when I practice self-compassion, especially when I paint something new that I struggle to understand, i.e. flowers - truly hard to paint!

Here are some of my paintings that I've done the last couple of weeks. I especially love abstract paintings I've done especially the ones led by Cynthia from the Mindful Creative Muse Youtube channel...seriously check her out, she's such a lovely + informed teacher!  








These are just a few of the paintings I've done over the course of two weeks + I'm so glad to have taken this hobby on as a means to self-care compassionately towards myself.

What have you done recently outside your formal mindfulness meditation practice that has brought you joy in your life?

~Till next time!


P.S sorry about not uploading any new audio meditation on my Youtube channel, still trying to find a good rhythm lately. :-)




 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncertainty, Self-Compassion + Covid-19 Testing

Having A Hot Cuppa Meditation Exercise

The Ok-Ness Of It All